Please table this motion for agreement at your local Labour Party and let us know if you are successful in securing support for it.
Draft Brexit Border Tax CLP Motion
XXX CLP notes that:
- Leaving the European Union means that the UK will now require its own border controls on food imports to protect our bio security
- Tory Hard Brexit means this Government is introducing a Border Target Operating Model that could mean more paperwork and cost British Business an extra £330 million a year by requiring a fee of at least £40 per consignment.
This CLP recognises that,
- Such a fee is dangerously inflationary and will likely add to food costs and shortages as well as being crippling for small businesses.
- Alternative measures including a veterinary deal and sharing bio hazard alerts would cut the need for such paperwork and costs to businesses and consumers.
This CLP therefore calls on Labour to
- To ask our Labour MP or candidate to oppose the proposed charge and the implementation of the Conservatives BTOM.
- To write to the Secretary of State for Trade in opposition of this policy
- To commit to negotiating a frictionless food safety arrangement with the EU.